Wednesday 14 October 2015

No choice but begging

At 56shops, 28th August 2015

A girl: Please give me some money. I'll buy something to eat.

Me: No I'll not give you money but if you are really hungry I'll buy you something to eat.

Girl: No but I need money.

Me: You said you were hungry.

Girl: Give me money I have to buy something for grandmother as well.

Me: What about your parents?
Please
Girl: I don't know. I live with grandmother.

Me: What is your name?

Girl: I don't know.

Me: Where do you live?

Girl: Nanda Nagar..

Me: That's too far from here. Why do you come here?

Girl: I get good money at 56shops.

Me: Your Grandmother asks you to come here?

Girl: No. I come by my own.

Me: Do you study?

Girl: I want to but I don't have time.

That was a moment which stuck me in deep thoughts..
She appeared to be around 7-8years of age, very weak in physical appearance yet full of energy even after a hot day. I desperately wanted to help her but I didn't wanted to give money. I was helpless. 
We know she could go to a government school where she will be provided with one time meal but what about her grandmother who was unable to work. All responsibility of her family was on her shoulders. Though she was begging on streets, but she did get something to eat at end of the day after all she had no choice because she couldn't be employed anywhere due to regulations prohibiting child labour. Now she has only one choice — begging. 
Lets assume a different scenario..
What if government prohibited child labour subject to certain terms and conditions, like they always do in other acts and laws like IT. If condition were like children could be employed at day time only if they attended school in morning or night, regularly or on alternate days. There attendace would be monitored to get them employment. I know many would be offending my opinion but i do belive that working at a good place and earning someting is far better than begging. Providing them work and earning opportunities only if they are regular to school will certainly help. Many people would be holding an argument that we can't ask children to work, but do these people really feel that children aren't working already. When they will have a fix amount coming in at the end of a day they would be less worried about what they will eat. Thus they will have some interest towards school. There are many success stories of people who started working at very young age and became pioneers in there field. So why not children on streets get a chance to earn something with respect. 
Some facts and figures..
I personally observed at 56 shops that number of children begging for money are constantly increasing. Towards end of august I noticed two girls who regularly wandered there. By end of September there were 4-5 children who were frequently observed there.. Somehow there numbers are increasing on streets this is the matter of concern.

By Umang Daga

No comments:

Post a Comment